20 credits at level HE7
The purpose of this module is to enable engineering students to use an agreed designated international language (other than their own) to communicate personally, effectively and through appropriate mediums to potential international colleagues about professional, technological and management issues. The module enhances and synthesizes elements previously covered on the course namely: verbal and non verbal use of an international language and associated cultural protocols, general professional communication skills, advanced use of IT and associated technologies, management issues, engineering concepts and associated terminology and an industrial experience placement.
1. Enhanced development and use of a designated international language and relevant vocabulary in order to articulate concepts and issues that a professional engineer is typically likely to encounter and have to address.
2. Advanced development and use of presentational, graphical and communication techniques to frame and convey intellectual and/or technical understanding and perspective in relation to engineering and management issues and associated terminology when using an international language.
3. Appropriate use of IT and associated technologies to facilitate understanding and effective communication when using an international language. An example might be judicious use of Pinyin in emails or in a presentation as an intermediate language with Chinese colleagues.
4. Contextual understanding and application of a designated international language to enable: effective collegiate learning and working when on an industrial experience placement; clear and positive communication in face to face meetings, by telephone and in written format; development of appropriate presentational protocols and styles, relevant use of graphical information and technical drawings.
5. Accepted conceptual and terminological definition and understanding of Engineering and Management issues within the UK and potential cultural interpretations and equivalence that might be inferred when conveyed in the designated international language.
The teaching approach will focus on developing language skills through aural skills, speech, reading, writing and application of these skills to enable expression for professional. Some formal lectures and guidance will be given, but substantial group and individual activities will ensure that students will learn mainly by practical examples and practice.
when you have successfully completed this module you will:
to demonstrate that you have achieved the learning outcome you will:
|1.||Speaking: be able to express and justify opinions, argue a point, contribute effectively to meetings and seminars within own area, give presentations, use telephone for most business purposes.||
• Communicate effectively in advanced role-plays (e.g. simulated work meeting)
• Give an oral presentation
|2.||• Listening: be able to understand most of content of meetings within own area, follow arguments (except very complex ones), understand instructions.||• Report main points and detailed information of aural text.|
|3.||Reading: be able to understand instructions, articles and reports within own field, understand main points of complex speech.||
• Extract gist and detailed information from written text within own field of study
• Summarise arguments
|4.||Writing: be able to deal with routine requests, make notes, write a range of correspondence (e.g., enquiry, complaint). Be able to write with a good level of accuracy.||
• Write a report in the target language on a topic within area of study
• Write a professional letter
|5.||Intercultural understanding: be able to adapt and use language within a variety of social situations and with cultural awareness, understanding the relationship between language and its culture.||• Evidenced through speaking and writing tasks above.|
Your achievement of the learning outcomes for this module will be tested as follows:
|Description||Language Test||Language Test||Language Test|
Before taking this module you must have successfully completed the following:
You cannot take this module if you are taking or have taken:
|Host Subject Group:||Engineering|
|User Name||Date Accessed||Action|