20 credits at level HE4
An introduction to the constraints and creative challenges of narrative image making,
and its use in conjunction with the written word.
An opportunity for students to develop their ability to contextualise their work within the theoretical and practical background to the subject.
An opportunity to experiment with the creative combination of words and visual media,
and to develop visual and written narrative abilities
The exploration of drawn media within animation and illustration as a means
of narrative visual communication.
The creative use of written and spoken language in animation and illustration
The applications of narrative illustration in still and moving images
Lateral creative thinking, and itís uses to generate and express narrative ideas
Creative and strategic approaches to structure
Visual literacy and the assimilation of historical and contemporary influence.
Practical studio workshops and tutorials for two assignments will constitute
approximately 60% of contact time. The remaining 40% is devoted to lectures,
seminars, critiques and demonstrations of technique.
Verbal and written feedback will be given for each practical assignment as completed,
and all practical work assessed as one submission
Students will record and develop ideas via a combined sketchbook & word processed
notebook, which will be assessed as part of the final module submission. This work will
be carried out on an ongoing basis in SDS time.
when you have successfully completed this module you will:
to demonstrate that you have achieved the learning outcome you will:
|1.||Be able to observe and record information for creative use
||Show the development of drawn and written concepts used for narrative purposes|
|2.||Be able to demonstrte critical awareness of your own work and that of others, in contemporary and historical context||Demonstrate critical analysis through text and image in the sketchbook/notebook|
|3.||Be able to demonstrate an ability to use a range of media and techniques appropriate to narrative illustration and creative writing||Creatively and technically fulfill the requirements of all assignments by applying narrative skills and understanding|
|4.||Be able to analyse, evaluate and apply the results of research to produce effective creative conclusions.||Demonstrate effective interpretation of referenced research in all practical assignmnets|
Your achievement of the learning outcomes for this module will be tested as follows:
|Description||2 Practical assignments||Sketch/notebook|
Before taking this module you must have successfully completed the following:
and/or be taking the following corequisite modules:
You cannot take this module if you are taking or have taken:
Feaver W When we were young Thames and Hudson 1977
Rose.A Magic pencil British library 2003
Wilde J & R. Visual literacy Watson Guptill 1991
Caputo.C Visual storytelling Watson Guptill 2002
Hart J The art of the storyboard Focal press 1999
Animation writing and development Jean Ann Wright
Script writing for animation Stan Hayward
How to write for animation Jeffrey Scott
The art of the comic book Robert Harvey
The essential guide to childrens books Anita Silvey
Manga:60 years of japanese comics Paul Gravett
The business of writing for children Aaron Shepard
For current reading lists please refer to Pathway Handbook and Module Documents
|Host Subject Group:||Art and Design|
|User Name||Date Accessed||Action|