20 credits at level HE5
The module is an introduction to the creative potential of 3D modelling animation.
The module aims to:
develop analytical, critical thinking in the planning of storyboard concepts for each assignment.
explore the appropriate use of 3D animated images, 3D typography and audio in the 3D animation assignments.
develop appropriate research skills.
The technical and intellectual challenges of animation using the Macintosh computer.
Storyboarding for 3D animation.
Appropriate skills in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Alias Maya relevant to 3D
The creation and manipulation of audio elements within the animation assignments.
The contextual history and development of the use of 3D animatioin as a creative medium
The module will be introduced and examined through a structured programme of
illustrated lectures, critique of storyboard concepts, examination of current 3D
animation, handouts, tutorials and practical workshops.
The major practical components will be the creation of two 3D animation projects. A
PDF format module journal covering the creative and technical processes is also
required. 90% of studio time is devoted to practical work and the remaining 10% to lectures and presentations.
The journal recording processes and progress is produced in SDS time
when you have successfully completed this module you will:
to demonstrate that you have achieved the learning outcome you will:
|1.||Understand the theory of 3D modelling animation
Submit a module journal which records technical processes
|2.||Be able to critically review the work of others
Take part in critical examination of work in progress
|3.||Be able to create 3D models of characters and background objects
Produce a volume of 3D images suitable for animation
|4.||Understand how 3D models can be animated and assembled as a completed sequence
Complete 2 animated sequences
|5.||Be able to use sound appropriately for animation||Create and edit a soundtrack|
Your achievement of the learning outcomes for this module will be tested as follows:
|Description||Animation Assignment||Animation Assignment||Journal|
Before taking this module you must have successfully completed the following:
and/or be taking the following corequisite modules:
You cannot take this module if you are taking or have taken:
Maestri George : Digital Character Animation 1, New Riders 2003
Adobe Premiere 6.5 Classroom in a Book, Adobe Creative Team
Instant Maya, Alias Wavefront
The Art of Maya, Alias Wavefront
Maya 5 Beginners Guide, Alias Wavefront
Seegmiller.D. Digital character design and painting Charles River Media 2003
For current reading lists please refer to Pathway Handbook and Module Documents
|Host Subject Group:||Art and Design|
|User Name||Date Accessed||Action|