20 credits at level HE5
Further exploration of the practical commercial applications of illustration
The development of analytical, critical thinking and the appropriate use of the creative
Development of an aesthetic sensibility which will form the basis for illustrative style.
Further exploration of the use of traditional and digital media in illustration.
Illustration as a medium for communication, graphic decoration and persuasion
The relevance of the use of drawing
The use of digital media in illustration
The appropriate use of image and style in a variety of contexts
Reference material, research and its effective use in illustration
The exploration of genres and stylistic convention within illustration
Understanding the professional environment
The module is based around a series of practical assignments which examine the diverse possibilities of this discipline, and is introduced and examined through presentations, demonstrations of technique, seminar discussion and personal tutorial sessions throughout.
The work is assessed at the end of the semester
A sketchbook produced in SDS time is also submitted at the end of the semester, to show personal development and contextual understanding. 90% of contact time is devoted to the practical work, and the remaining 10% to lectures and seminars.
when you have successfully completed this module you will:
to demonstrate that you have achieved the learning outcome you will:
|1.||Be able to create illustrative images suitable for a variety of purposes.||Submit illustrative work to specific briefs|
|2.||Be able to apply appropriate traditional and digital skills to your images||Provide evidence of traditional and digital skill in the work submitted|
|3.||Understand the general context of illustration in commercial use||Demonstrate understanding in the use of appropriate imagery|
|4.||Conduct effective research for illustration||Complete a sketchbook/journal with contextual research material|
|5.||Produce illustration suitable for print or screen use in a professional environment||Submit illustrative work to specific briefs, suitable for the proposed outcome|
Your achievement of the learning outcomes for this module will be tested as follows:
|Description||illustration assignments||sketchbook/ journal|
Before taking this module you must have successfully completed the following:
No restrictions apply.
Smith A Drawing dynamic comics Watson Guptill 2000
Feaver W When we were young Thames and Hudson 1977
Walton R The big book of illustration ideas Harper 2004
Heller S, Pomeroy K Designing with illustration Van Nostrand Reinhold 1990
Christelow E. What do illustrators do? Clarion 1995
Zappaterra Y. Illustration -from brief to finished solution Electronic workshop 1998
For current reading lists please refer to Pathway Handbook and Module Documents
|Host Subject Group:||Art and Design|
|User Name||Date Accessed||Action|